Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Suburbanite Who Bugs Out!

By Reginald Kaigler (DEMCAD)

I think too many people assume that moving out of the city will guarantee or dramatically improve their safety if a societal breakdown situation. If a nationwide emergency causes the power grid to fail, some places will be safer than others, but no one will be as safe as you think. I've heard many people say over the years that I need to get out of the city and that I won't have a chance if the shit hits the fan.

But I'm starting to get the impression that these people don't use the nuances of environment and how it relates to emergencies. People often point out the cities will be more dangerous because of the people. And although I agree that in the short term, the cities will be very dangerous, I also think that a lot of the people in the cities will drive to the surburbs, while the suburbanites will try to move into the country. There's a lot of people living in the suburbans around Detroit with cabins in Northern Michigan.

If there's a national emergency, almost everyone in Southeast Michigan is going to be trying to move up North I-75. That means if you're a suburbanite who thinks you're safe, you will likely get stuck in traffic if you try to bug out in the early stages of a crisis. Your best bet maybe to wait until the first wave of violence and panic ends. Personally, I'm not bugging out until I run out of resources and/or facing an imminent threat with overwhelming force. Until that day, I plan to stay in my home and bug in for the long term.

Keep in mind that if you live in the suburbans, a lot of desperate people will be forced to leave the highways and major roads to find resources your suburban area.


Simply put, the city will have more desperate people, but the it will also have many more resources. The rural areas will have less desperate people, but less resources. When you go from the city to the country, you're leaving one set of challenges for a different set of challenges. My ideal scenario would be to locate in a rural area with trusted family and plenty of my own resources.

Remember if you are a suburbanite planning on bugging out, please have resources already at the location. And it would be best to have a trusted family member at the location who can guard it until you arrive. You don't want to show and find strangers in your cabin. if the situation is grave, I doubt a man would be willing to give up shelter for his family without a fight.

Here are the things you will want to have in your vehicle.

1) 4 Wheel Drive
If you have to abandon the major roads, this could can in handy. But also beware that 4x4 makes the vehicle more complicated and if it breaks, it could expensive to repair.

2) First Kid (and knowledge of how to use it.)

3) Fire extinuigisher (and knowledge of how to use it)

4) Water (this includes water bottles and water filters)

5) Lighters and matches

6) Two Way Radios.

7) Spare tire, spare auto parts and tools.

8) A Plan (that all household member are aware of.)

1 comment:

  1. Item number 2. How do I use my "First Kid" in a survival situation?

    ReplyDelete